Friday, 7 March 2025

New Beginnings - The Good Shepherd

 JOHN 10
John 10:11-18
“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.  The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me — just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”

Who is the Good Shepherd?
Jesus is not just any shepherd; he's the "good shepherd". In Jesus's conversation with the young man often described  as the "rich young ruler", Jesus asked the man, "Why do you call me good... No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19 NIV) Thus, when Jesus added "good" to shepherd, he was making a significant point. Jesus wasn't just another shepherd--a well-meaning and competent one. He was the "good shepherd". In being truly good, Jesus could be trusted to want only the best for his sheep, never to lead them astray. Then Jesus pointed out that the most important trait of the Good Shepherd is that he "sacrifices his life for the sheep". What a difference between the Good Shepherd and the others mentioned in the story. The thief steals, kills and destroys; the hired hand watches the sheep only for money and abandons the flock at the first sign of trouble or danger. The Good Shepherd is committed to the sheep. Then Jesus compared his relationship with his followers to the relationship he enjoyed with the Father.
Concerning his willingness to give his life for the sheep, when Jesus said "I have the authority to lay my life down when I want to and also to take it up again", he was demonstrating his authority to control his life and beyond, pointing to his Death and Resurrection. Jesus obeyed his Father and voluntarily laid down his life. It was not taken from him.

Getting Personal

  1. When have you doubted God's goodness? When has other advice made you doubt Jesus's words?
  2. What makes following Jesus all the time so difficult at times?
  3. What evidence might others see in you that Jesus is Your Good Shepherd?
Many people who call themselves Christian profess to believe that God is good, but they try to take out insurance just in case. They follow the Shepherd but question whether they are going in the right direction. They may trust God but add something else (money, mental ability, friends advice, worldly teachings, astrology and so on). But trusting in the Saviour means following him wholeheartedly--no additions, corrections or subtractions. This begins by believing that He is truly good all the time.

Putting it into Action
Forgive me dear Shepherd, for my doubts and fears and for wandering off on my own way, thinking that I know better. I do believe you and trust you. I know that you are good and that you love me. Help me trust you more.

Bible Verse
"The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name's sake". Psalm 23:1-3, NIV

Prayer

Dear Father in heaven, we thank you that we need never feel forsaken. We thank you that we are led and guided by your hand. We thank you for all we have received from you, your care for our bodies, for our material needs, and for our inner life. We praise you, O God! Continue to lead us, we pray. Continue to work among us so that we can all see and come to know that the Good Shepherd is leading us. In Jesus name. Amen.

For Further information please contact

Martin      082 645 3008
Tryphosa 067 091 4402
For any additional information email ccnokuphila1@gmail.com




 








No comments:

Post a Comment

New Beginnings - New Life - The Grand Plan - Salvation for All

  JOHN 11 John 11:45-53 (NIV)  "Therefore many of the Jews who had come to visit Mary, and had seen what Jesus did, believed in him.   ...